Kinilaw by Magat
Today is my Fatther's birthday!!! Happy birthday Pa! The family celebrated his birthday last weekend and as usual, they teased me with all the yummy food he cooked for his birthday. He is the cook in the family. I miss the food that he makes especially the KINILAW or raw fish salad. I think I posted before his recipe on how to make it but I have another recipe here that I want to share from PanlasangPinoy.com.
"Kinilaw na Tuna or raw fish salad is an appetizer dish that is usually consumed as “pulutan”; it is best served along with cold beer. This recipe does not involve any manual cooking but the tuna meat is semi-cooked once served. This is made possible by the acids in the vinegar (acetic acid) and calamansi or lemon juice (citric acid). These mild acids slowly cook the fish meat when soaked for a few hours."
2 lbs tuna; skinned, deboned, and cubed
1 1/2 cup vinegar
3 tablespoons ginger, minced
1 large red onion, minced
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup lemon or calamansi juice
1 to 2 tablespoons red chilies, chopped
1. Place the cubed tuna meat in a large bowl then pour-in 3/4 cups of vinegar.
2. Let stand for 2 minutes then gently squeeze the tuna by placing a spoon on top applying a little pressure.
3. Gently wash the tuna meat with vinegar. Drain all the vinegar once done. This will help reduce the fishy smell.
4. Add the remaining 3/4 cup vinegar, calamansi or lemon juice, ginger, salt, ground black pepper, and red chilies then mix well.
5. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.6. Top with minced red onions and serve (you may also add the red onions with the rest of the ingredients in step 4).
7. Share and enjoy!